I have been thinking a lot lately about returning to the short story form instead of working on my novel ideas. Here is why…
- All of my previous work (and successes) were in the short story form.
- I have come to dread working on the outlines for my novels.
- I am bored with the ideas for the novels.
- There is a new magazine called Knowonder that wants stories between 500 and 999 words that are interesting, exciting and short!
- Knowonder pays for these stories.
I am thinking that writing some stories for this venue could get me excited about writing again. I am have, over the last 6 months or so, come to view actual writing with the dread one often feels about a trip to the dentist. I want it to be fun again and what better cure than writing fun little stories?
I have an idea for my first story about a kid’s visit to the library to return an almost overdue book that becomes very hazardous, dangerous and exciting.
We shall see what I can come up with but, it seems that one of my main talents is the quick laugh. I want to try to re-invigorate my writing and make it something I look forward to instead of dreading.