Read: Proverbs 4
Verse(s) that struck me:
(20) My child, pay attention to what I say. Listen carefully to my words.
(21) Don’t lose sight of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart,
(22) for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body.
(23) Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.
(24) Avoid all perverse talk; stay away from corrupt speech.
(25) Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you.
(26) Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the safe path.
(27) Don’t get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil.
In verse 23, we are told to “Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.” This is especially important because of what the previous verses tell you to allow into it. If we listen closely to God’s words of wisdom and allow them to penetrate deep into our heart, they will guide us like an unshakeable compass that always points the right way. Following that compass will be the key to the best life we can have. Some additional pointers on how to navigate that properly guided life are the type of speech we use, where to focus our attention, planning to go the right way and resisting the impulse to go different ways.
In order to get God’s words of wisdom into our hearts we need to read His word. I would suggest reading it daily, Not just reading for reading’s sake, but carefully reading the passage chosen for the day and asking God to make it real. It needs to be real to you and in you. Read it. Think about it. Pray about how to enact what you learn into your life.
Lord of heaven and earth, bless us this day with a firm desire to spend time in your word. As we read it, Lord please make it real to us and in us. Firmly implant your word in our hearts so that we can be guided by it. Help us to guard our hearts by keeping corrupt and perverse things from entering our lives. Lord, help us to live a life pleasing to you each and every day.